Login      Sign In      Sitemap      instagram facebook
download app
google play app store
Historical route of Sacred City of Messolonghi

 




 

NOTE.: The route on the map is colored pink.

 

 
ROUTE PROGRAMME

 

ROUTE DESCRIPTION

Messolonghi, the Sacred City, as it is officially called, is the capital of the Prefecture of Aitoloakarnania. Messolonghi, built and raised on the edge of the Lagoon, has been identified more than any other Greek city with the Struggle of 1821. The Freedom of our homeland has been inextricably linked with the Sacred City in space-time and of course at the peak of its history, the Heroic Exodus of the Free Besieged.

Mezzo / messo and langi which means "place in the middle of lakes" hence the name Mesolonghi, is the prevailing version. The city first appeared in the 14th century as a refuge for the Dalmatians and settlement of local fishermen and within a few decades developed into a naval city and a commercial export center. In 1726 the sub-consulate of Venice was founded in Messolonghi with Naxios Spyridon Barotsis as its first consul.

 

FIND THE ROUTES
ON THE MAP

 

Digital system for multi-level promotion of history
and culture stock of the Region of Western Greece
ΟPS 5069382

Search